Sunday, June 13, 2010

You Suck


Please note: Christopher Moore is a genius. Finished reading "You Suck" a couple of weeks ago, after not having picked it up for a year due to school. Picking it up right where I left off was much easier than anticipated. I felt as if I had never gone on a year-long leisure reading hiatus. After finishing the book, I realized that it was only part 2 of 3. I hadn't read part one, and thankfully I didn't have to because Christopher Moore did a great job with providing a back story. The book is a continuation of the first of the trilogy "Bloodsucking Fiends" (which I'll get around to reading) but, "You Suck" is basically about a girl who turns her guy friend into a vampire as retaliation to him having sex with her as she's asleep. The girl has an 800 year old vampire lifemate that turned her. She'd only been a vampire for a couple of weeks before turning this other guy. (Forgive me, I'm terrible with names) So we've got two n00b vampires in California, trying to figure out how to be vampires, and a bronzed 800 year old vampire lifemate-- thanks to the new guy. They meet a girl Abbey Normal who wants to become a part of the "vampire legion" and pretty much acts as an assistant to the two vampires. Being pursued by vampire hunters they make an attempt to flee with the help of their lovely assistant Abbey. Christopher Moore does well in keeping the reader on the edge of their seat, while making them giggle their asses off. I would definitely suggest this novel to everybody... but I would also suggest to read the first of the series... well, first. It was disappointing finding out that there was more to the story that I had just missed because I didn't research my shit. The novel is a wonderful parody of serious vampire books, as Abbey is brought in thinking that vampires are noble, eloquent creatures, where they're just normal people --- except they're undead, need SPF1,000,000 sunscreen, and suck the blood of the living. 

I'd give it a 7/10.
And with not having read the first novel, I would still give the book a re-read value of 5/10.

Chris Moore is funny.

0 comments: